AER201 - Engineering Design
After completion of the course, successful students should be better able to:
In this course, skills that students should seek to develop include:
- Design a solution for an initially unbounded problem, with a multidisciplinary nature, using an iterative, concurrent design process.
- Implement design ideas, and create realistic mechatronics systems.
- Effectively survey the industrial resources for alternative solutions.
- Complete a design project (including fabrication, integration, and debugging) through the detailed design stage in a timely manner.
- Develop and use mathematical methods and tools for the synthesis and analysis of realistic engineering problems.
- Effectively perform the tasks of component search and acquisition from the market.
- Perform test and troubleshooting on different subsystems, as well as rapid prototyping using hardware-in-the-loop simulations.
- Participate effectively and provide leadership in an engineering design team.
- Gain confidence in technical abilities.
- Prepare and present written and oral presentations (proposals, reports, demos, ...) as part of the design procedure.
- discovery and use of a logical and effective design process;
- competence in following the steps of that process;
- analytical techniques used in engineering design;
- leadership and participation in a design team;
- better technical writing;
- better public presentation; and
- understanding the practice of professional engineering.